About Maryann Hammers
This is where I toot my own horn and tell you a bit about my background.
PR and Communications Experience
I have many years experience in public relations, external/internal communications, media relations and producing publications/press materials.
- Seven years as director of public relations for Granada Hills Community Hospital and San Gabriel Valley Medical Center
- Awarded top honors from organizations such as the International Association of Business Communicators and American Society of Business Press Editors. My public relations campaigns and materials won the Association of Western Hospitals “Best of the West” award.
- Four years at the California Science Center, handling media relations.
- Public Affairs Writer for California State University, Northridge.
Writing and Editing Experience
For more than 20 years I’ve worked as an editor or writer for magazines, custom publishers, and websites.
- Editor in chief of Spa, a national magazine focused on women’s wellness. Spa won the Western Publication Association’s Maggie Award during both years I was at the helm.
- Managing editor for Group IV Communications, a custom-publishing company that produced business and banking magazines (five-time Maggie Award winner).
- Editor for Lifescript.com, a major women’s health site. In that role, I recruited, trained and managed our team of writers, planned and assigned stories, edited and rewrote articles, and worked with writers and staff editors on revisions.
- Writer for publications such as Shape, Real Simple, Oxygen, Weight Watchers, Fitness, Town & Country, Los Angeles Times, Sunset, Coastal Living, Success, and dozens more consumer, trade, in-flight and business magazines.
- Writer for major websites, such as WomansDay.com, Health.com, Lifescript.com, AARP.org, MSN.com, MSN Travel, CNN.com, AA.com (website of American Airlines), and HomeFurnishings.com.
- Mind/Body/Soul columnist for 805 Living, a regional lifestyle magazine.
- Travel columnist for MOAA.org (Military Officers Association of America).
Teaching and Academic Experience
I’ve held positions as an adjunct professor, instructor, lecturer, teacher and workshop leader for universities, community colleges, high schools, and adult extension programs, teaching English (composition, grammar, and literature) and other writing courses.
- Taught article-writing classes for the Conejo Unified School District (adult school/community education program).
- Taught English and journalism at College of the Canyons in Valencia, California, California State University, Northridge, and DeVry University. I’ve also led writing workshops for Pierce College and Learning Tree University. And I taught high school English at Alemany High School in Mission Hills, California.
- Bachelor’s degree in English (cum laude) with a Journalism minor.
- Master’s degree in English literature (with distinction), California State University, Northridge.
- Post-graduate study in rhetoric at the University of Southern California.
How may I help you?